Recipe adapted from: http://www.marcussamuelsson.com/recipe/spiced-coconut-lentil-soup-recipe
- 1/2 large red onion
- 1/2 red chili
- thumbsize piece of peeled ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 400g can coconut milk
- 3 cups filtered water
- 1 cube vegan vegetable bouillon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- black pepper
- 1 heaped tsp coconut oil
1. Finely chop the red onion
2. Heat the coconut oil in a heavy based saucepan. Add the onion, season, cover and allow to soften for several minutes.
3. Meanwhile, mince the chili, garlic and ginger together. Add to pan, cover and cook for a few more minutes until the flavors begin to infuse.
4. Rinse red lentils and add to pan along with the ground coriander, paprika and cumin. Mix thoroughly and then pour in the coconut milk and water. Sprinkle in the vegetable bouillon and lightly season with some salt and ground black pepper.
5. Cover, bring to the boil and then lower to a gentle simmer for forty minutes, ensuring to stir frequently.
6. When the lentils have softened and almost disintegrated to form a thick, creamy soup, take off the heat, pour in the lime juice, taste for seasoning and serve with a few fresh coriander leaves for garnish.