Recipe adapted from: http://www.cookincanuck.com/2010/06/creamy-zucchini-coconut-milk-soup/
This soup is one of my favorites, easy to prepareand tasty. The best part, believe it or not, is completely dairy free but still creamy thanks to the almighty coconut milk. Bon Appétit!
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeds & membranes removed (if desired), and minced
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- 1 tbsp minced fresh mint leaves
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan set over medium-low heat. Add the onion and chili pepper, and sweat (cook without browning) until the onion is soft and translucent, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for additional 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium, add the grated zucchini and chopped mint leaves, and cook until the zucchini is starting to soften, about 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove soup from the heat and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- I use the hand blender for processing the soup , but you can process the soup in a blender, until the soup is almost smooth. Return to the saucepan, stir in coconut milk, reheat, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.